At the initial stage the patient hears a buzzing sound in the ears, and gradually all other sounds become indistinct to him.
Causes: Deafness is not a disease by itself, unless it is congenital. It is an after-effect or reaction to some other ailment. Therefore one may find innumerable reasons behind deafness.
1. Excessive use of quinine or similar poisonous medicines for a long time reduces the power of hearing.
2. Due to lack of nutritious food, the auditory nerves of many persons of middle or old age weaken, and as a result they suffer from deafness.
3. Too much use of intoxicants increases acidity of blood, due to which hearing power is reduced.
4. Persons in whom kapha is the dominant principal sometimes suffer from excess accumulation of kapha in their system, which causes obstruction to the organs of hearing, and as a result deafness occurs.
5. The power of hearing is sadly reduced due to excessive seminal loss, and permanent deafness results.
6. Those who are in the habit of taking snuff or who blow their noses forcibly often obstruct the natural function of their auditory nerves and invite deafness.
7. A disturbance in the váyu or kapha obstructs the normal functioning of the auditory nerve-fibres and creates deafness.
8. Swelling of the inner ear or accumulation of pus inside the ear may cause deafness. Treatment, diet, and dos and don’ts: By treating the disease that the deafness originates from gradually, the deafness will be cured.